My skills working with knits are pathetically underdeveloped. I basically just try to stay away from everything with some sort of stretch. Yes, it is very limiting. Yes, it is a little bit silly. I bought this pattern, Vogue 1027 a long time ago. Before I thought about having a Tulip Lu. Circa, 2008 perhaps. This weekend I decided enough was enough. I bought some jersey knit on sale from Joanns ($17.00) and cut this baby out. While there are a lot of things I think I could do better now, or would do differently—wonky ties. It is for sure wearable. I want to make another to refine the process a bit. Here is the red knit dress before hemming—setting the bias. I’ll post a picture of it on perhaps one day.
Sunday, July 29, 2012
Monday, July 16, 2012
I have been overwhelmed by annoying life-stuff. Water heater leaking not once but twice in a week, no hot water, insect bites, baby with bacterial pneumonia, dirty laundry, stinky hair, broken internet, broken fan, weeds. When I think about all the practical stuff I need to accomplish, I panic and all I can think about is what I would like to sew. It is occasionally how I cope. My friend Alli said today it is cheaper than shopping and more Mormon than drinking. I took her comments as encouragement.
After putting the littles to bed tonight, I decided to just cut out this little dress. I’ve had the fabric stashed for years. It is the Koleshi Doll Dress from Ottobre 3/2012 (I’m going to say this is my favorite issue!) in size 86cm. After I cut out I thought I would just place the pleats while my laundry was finishing because you know, pleats can be tedious sometimes and can occasionally delay a project. Then I thought the same thing about the sleeves, you know all those casings can be tedious too. Then I read the instructions and realized how clever the construction was and couldn’t stop. I love a project that is clean and clever. I originally wasn’t going to make this because it seemed like a lot of work for a raglan dress but the cuteness of the pleats slowly overtook my reasoning. I’m so glad I did because it was a surprise to sew. It is one of those projects you can sit at one machine the whole time. No need for a serger at all. Pretty interior.
And that is how it came to be 1:00 am.
PS I’ll try to get a picture of this on Tulip-Lu and post a few Hollywood Cerise dresses I’ve made in the last week from this same issue.
Wednesday, July 4, 2012
This is a summer play dress for Bird. The pattern is in the current issue of Ottobre (3/2012) #27 Edgar Degas Rose Dress. The material was a lovely cotton lawn I picked up at a local sewing shop. I made a size 122 and I’m pleased to announce that it fits. Most things I’ve made from Ottobre without adjustments turn out wide. I don’t know if their patterns are slimmer in the bigger sizes or if my little Bird is growing out of her birdiness. The pattern goes together beautifully. I omitted the interfacings, added binding around the neck and placed my tucks using a double needle instead of the fold and stitch method it tells you to. I wish I would have marked the bottom of the tucks before I began sewing because I noticed that while it seemed like I was ending at the same place—I clearly didn’t.
This issue of Ottobre may be my very favorite. There are several more little dresses I want to make from it. Next up the Hollywood Cerise Linen dress for either Lu or Bird, or maybe even both.