Thursday, January 24, 2013

Simplicity 1693

IMG_0570 (2)
Pattern Description: 
Pullover top with bias neck finish and back button with loop closure.  Elastic waist.  The pattern is Simplicity 1693 View A

Pattern Sizing: 4-6-8-10-12  I made a size 10 which is my typical size in Simplicity

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes.
 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I like this pattern a lot.  I think the shape of the sleeves and body is great.  Enough ease to be an easy wear but fitted enough to not feel shapeless.

Fabric Used: I used a silk/cotton blend by Marc Jacobs.  Its a bit sheer, like voile. It should be lovely to wear in the heat.  The pattern calls for 1 3/8 but I only had 1 1/8 and it was workable (60” wide)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I omitted the back seam and instead inserted a narrow placket.  I also used the fabric scraps to make my own bias tapes for the neckline, sleeve elastic casing, waist casing, and binding to finish the sleeve seam.  Because it is pretty sheer I chose to finish all the raw edges inside with either french seams or bias tape.  I also did a very narrow rolled hem on the bottom because I didn’t want to sacrifice any length.  I shortened the sleeves by about an inch to accomodate not having enough fabric but then narrowed the sleeve hem allowance to make up half that.  Probably ended up being 1/2” short in the sleeves. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I really like this blouse.  I would add a couple of inches to the length and 1.5” to the sleeves if I made it again.  I want to make another with a Peter Pan collar (view D). 

IMG_0595 IMG_0598 IMG_0599 IMG_0600 IMG_0601 




6 comments:

  1. So pretty! Your fabric is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This top is gorgeous! It looks like it came right out of the J.Crew catalog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful! I just bought this pattern and now I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am working on this pattern--you can eliminate back seam and get it over the head with a lower tank neckline,
    which you might like for summer. It has a boxy cut without the elastic waist.
    Might taper the waist to emphasize. View E or F--the drawing looks like the bottom is cut
    as curved with tails, but the pattern actually curves up at the sides.
    I find most tops need more length, unless you're Petite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so, random...but I bought this pattern based on your review of it several weeks ago!! How crazy is it that we would meet in the fabric store??!

    ReplyDelete